Arts Academy in the Woods Board of Directors Roster
2020-2021 Arts Academy in the Woods Board of Directors
|NAME||BOARD POSITION||PROFESSIONAL POSITION||TERM EXPIRES|
|Tom Dobbs||Chair||Patse@att.net||Retired Educator||Nov 2021|
|Nick Cucinella||Vice Chairemail@example.com||Self-Employed||Nov 2022|
|Dennis Wrosch||Treasurerfirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired Educator||Oct 2021|
|Carrie A. Gilchrist||Secretaryemail@example.com||Senior Financial Aid Outreach Advisor/Adjunct Instructor OU||Jun 2023|
|James Higginbottom||Ex-Officiofirstname.lastname@example.org||Retired Educator||Ex-Officio|
|Jessie Hastings||Ex-Officioemail@example.com||English Faculty @ MCCC||Ex-Officio|
History of the Academy
Arts Academy in the Woods is chartered by the Macomb Intermediate School District’s Board of Education, which oversees its operations, including finances and curriculum.
The Academy is tuition-free and open to all Michigan students, grades 7-12, with an interest in the arts. Any secondary school student who qualifies as a resident of the State of Michigan is eligible to attend.
The Academy opened in August 2001, initially only to students entering the 9th grade. The 2002-2003 year included 9th and 10th grade students. 11th grade was added in 2003-2004, and finally, a senior class (12th grade) was added in the 2004-2005 school year.
Arts Academy allows students to major in the Arts, while also attending “regular” high school classes. The arts program is combined with a full academic curriculum including math, science, English, and languages.
Our Arts programs include Acting, Creative Writing, Dance, Digital Art, Instrumental Music, Visual Art, and Vocal Music.
Our Academic programs are integrated with the arts and aligned with the Michigan Merit Curriculum.
Our graduates have a strong academic foundation and the creative vision that is created by learning in and through the arts.
FOUNDERS: James Higginbottom and Jessie Hastings
Our Mission and Vision
· Arts Academy in the Woods prepares our graduates to pursue the highest level of success in their post-secondary artistic, academic, vocational, and community lives.
Arts Academy in the Woods ….
· Provides excellence in an integrated arts and academics education with high standards that challenge all students.
· Embodies a safe and healthy physical and emotional environment that promotes inclusion and respect for individuality and diversity.
· Believes that effective communication among stakeholders, especially engaged listening, is essential to the successful development of our school.
· Supports and guides the student as artist through exploration, freedom of choice and expression, and frequent opportunities to showcase talents.
· Is a unique educational experience in Southeastern Michigan that prepares students for post-secondary and vocational success with a lifelong appreciation for art and learning.
· Staff embrace continuous learning with a passion for their content and the arts, while incorporating life skills and character development in their instruction.
· Cultivates and nurtures the highest expectations for performance and behavior throughout our community.